There are numerous methods for trying to network into a company and/or
for trying to identify internal company contacts. These are some suggestions
of how/where to obtain contacts.
- Friends and neighbors (many subdivisions have a homeowners alias; if you
have sent email to that alias or watch the alias, look at the return addresses;
although some will be from ISP's, others will be from companies. If there is
a copy of the homeowners booklet, check it out.
- Recreation events - are you a member of a bowling, softball, skiiing team?
- Clubs - book club, social club, professional organizations.
- User groups.
Co-workers (for instance if you have part-time job)
Financial consultant, your tax preparer, banker, realtor, barber, beautician,
child care provider, Boy & Girl Scouts, mechanic (just to name a few)
Questions to ask your closer contacts
- Know anyone in XYZ industry?
- Know any companies hiring people with my skills?
- Are you interested or willing to help?
- Can you put me in touch with the hiring manager?
- May I use your name as a reference?
- You know anyone at XYZ company?
- You have any advice on career transition?
Questions to ask your type industry/association type contacts
- Could you tell me the names of several other contacts?
- What are the current issues facing the company?
- Do you know what companies might be hiring?
- Would you have time to critique my resume?
Techniques to get inside a company when you have no names
- Call company main phone: if don't appear open to discussion, try more creative
approaches. Ask for:
- Accounts receivable
- Technical support (most of us use the telephone for one reason or another)
- Other ?
Be prepared to explain what why you have asked to be transferred beyond the
- Call company after normal business hours; many smaller companies have automated
recordings that will allow you to enter some digits relating to a name/division.
- There are lots of business directories which include lists of Key Contacts; you
might just get lucky with one of them.
Recently Updated Item(s)