docx to doc Conversion Instructions
Many people for a variety of reasons continue to use the earlier versions of Microsoft Word (e.g.: Word 97, Word 2000, Word 2002, and Word 2003).
The advent of Microsoft Word 2007 meant a new file format: (.docx). This led to some confusion because Microsoft Word 2007 uses (.docx) as its default format. This difference is not necessarily clear until a Word user with a previous version tries and fails to open the (.docx) file.
The newer products have the ability to read the original (.doc) files as well as the ability to Save As in the original (.doc) file format.
How to Convert .docx to .doc Files in Microsoft Word 2007 or newer
- With the document.docx file open in Word 2007 or newer:
- Click the round icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Highlight the "Save As:" option by hovering your mouse over it,
- then select "Word 97-2003 Document" from the list to the right.
- In the next window that opens click "Save." You might want to consider renaming the file before doing this, as having .doc and .docx files under the same file name could be very confusing. Do this by typing a new name into the "File Name:" portion of the window before clicking "Save."
Your document.doc is ready for sharing with others using the older versions of Microsoft Word.
A Google search for "docx to doc conversion" found very many items. It must be a very popular question.
Some of the free converters make me nervous:
- Some converters copy the document from your PC into somewhere on the web, process it then copy it back to your PC. Who has what kind of access to that document sitting out there on the web somewhere?
- I saw another converter that, as a part of the standard installation process, would change your default browser and your default web search tool.
I prefer to use Writer, a part of OpenOffice.org from http://www.openoffice.org/ (It is free to use OpenWare.)
Or Writer, a part of LibreOffice.org from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ (It is also free to use OpenWare.)
- Open the document.docx with Text Document / Writer
- Select the menu item: File (upper left corner)
- Then select the menu subitem: Save As...
- In the Dialog Window select from the Save as type:
Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc) OR Word 97-2003 (.doc)
- Click on the [Save] button.
- Then click on the [Keep Current Format] button. OR [Use Word 97-2003 Format]
The document.doc is ready for the older versions of Microsoft Word.